Here is the yummy chicken and smoked sausage gumbo recipe straight from the hands of the folks at Bluegrass restaurant!
This is the recipe to make A WHOLE LOT of gumbo so chances are you'll have to do some math and make a whole lot less when you try it at home.
1. Melt butter in a 2 gallon sauce pan or heavy brassier, over medium heat.
An adult will have to be in charge of the pot on the hot stove, but kids can easily help prepare all of the veggies and meats!
2. Add Sliced smoked sausage, and sauté over medium to high heat for 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Add onion, bell pepper, celery, and sauté for 5 to 8 minutes, or until soft.
4. Add cayenne pepper, white pepper, paprika, granulated garlic, thyme, oregano, tobasco, and bay leaf. Stir well.
5. Add chicken stock, and kitchen bouquet, and bring to a boil.
6. Slowly add dark roux, and blend well. Simmer for 5 minutes.
7. Add dark chicken meat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
8. Add frozen okra, and simmer for another 5 minutes.
9. Remove from heat, let cool for 5 minutes, and serve!